The construction work began in January 1907 and lasted 18 months, although it only took two months to pierce the two tunnels. Two stations were also built. The top station of brick was covered with a metallic structure reminiscent of the style of certain stations and the overground sections of the Paris underground system. The more imposing bottom station has a neo-Byzantine facade that’s entirely decorated in ceramics. The red and white brick pediment above the mouth of the tunnel is a continuation of this style.
At the time, two cars made of varnished wood, each with four tiered compartments and sliding doors, could carry up to forty-eight passengers in total. The journey time was two minutes.